Tuesday, February 16, 2010

La Carmencita by John Singer Sargent



















This is John Singer Sargent's La Carmencita, painted in 1890.
Overall, I really like this painting. Actually, I only have two problems with this picture.
One of them is the fact that her face is really pale and she looks like she's tilting her head really far back compared to normal or something like that. I can't quite tell what it is that bugs me about her face, but there is something.
The other thing that I have noticed is her back arm. The way her arm and her shoulder are drawn, her shoulder seems like it's raised (once again, really far compared to normal). You can also see so little of the arm that you can't quite tell that's it's attached securely to her body. It looks like it started to grow a little sideways.
Other than that, I really like the painting.
When you look at her dress, the design on it is really beautiful. It's actually a very interesting dress. The skirt, aside from the poofiness, is more or less average. For the top part, it looks like it's a regular top with some sort of a shawl draped over it. Not necessarily the average dress you see people wear a lot now, but I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment